UPDATE ON OCT. 24: This year’s events at 14 UPMC facilities and the University of Pittsburgh’s Nordenberg Pharmacy collected nearly 1,200 pounds of unwanted medications, eliminating their potential for abuse or improper disposal.
Abusive use of prescription pain killers and over-the-counter drugs has been on the rise in recent years. Consumption of unused or expired drugs could have negative consequences for people who take them, and improper disposal can be harmful for the environment. Drug Take-Back Days are critical in preventing drug overdose, illicit drug use and water contamination.
UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy have once again partnered with local security forces and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to host Drug Take-Back Day. Members of the general public are invited to anonymously turn in their unused or expired drugs for proper disposal on Friday. The events are free, and those who dispose of their drugs are encouraged to conceal their personal information on prescription medication vials.
Except where noted below, all locations are open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, and all medications must be in their original containers.
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC: Outpatient Pharmacy Lobby.
- Falk Pharmacy: Falk Medical Building, 2nd Floor Lobby.
- Forbes Pharmacy of WPIC: Oxford Building, 3501 Forbes Ave., 7th Floor.
- Forbes Tower, 3600 Forbes Ave., Oakland, Main Lobby (Entrance off Meyran Ave.).
- Hillman Cancer Center: Ground Floor Atrium, 5115 Centre Ave., Shadyside.
- Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC: Main Lobby, 1st Floor.
- University Pharmacy: Nordenberg Hall, 103 University Place, Oakland (Open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.).
- UPMC East: Main Lobby.
- UPMC Hamot: Women’s Hospital Lobby.
- UPMC McKeesport: Aging Institute Resource Room, 1-Crawford.
- UPMC Mercy: Cafeteria, 2nd Floor.
- UPMC Mercy South Side: Main Lobby.
- UPMC Passavant: Main Lobby, McCandless Campus.
- UPMC Presbyterian: Prescription Shop, 1st Floor.
- U.S. Steel Tower: MyHealth@Work, 12th Floor (Employee/building resident access only).