With some help from the Sisters of Mercy, staff from UPMC Mercy Hospital’s labor and delivery team recently wrapped some of its newest and littlest patients in their best St. Patrick’s Day blankets to celebrate the Irish and Catholic roots of the hospital. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in Pittsburgh in 1843, and four years later, they opened the doors to the world’s first Mercy hospital, which remains Pittsburgh’s only Catholic hospital.
Joining members of the labor and delivery team were UPMC Mercy Hospital President Michael Grace, the Rev. Albert Schempp and Sister Carolyn Schallenberger.
To learn more about UPMC Mercy Hospital’s history, click here.