7 Years of Flu Shots

By: Allison Hydzik

Flu kills, and critically ill, hospitalized patients are especially vulnerable.

After years of trying different tactics to encourage flu vaccination among its staff – with good, but not good enough, results – UPMC adopted a universal flu immunization policy in the 2015-2016 flu season. The first year saw a nearly 15 percent jump in vaccination rates. And, so far this season the rates are even better, with nearly 98 percent of health care staff immunized. The remaining 2 percent, who can’t be vaccinated for various, approved reasons, wear masks when near patients.

UPMC is proud to share our flu immunization data during National Influenza Vaccination Week, and celebrate that it means less chance of patients being exposed to the flu.

Still need a flu shot? UPMC Urgent Care centers have them available seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., with no appointment necessary.

Learn more: http://www.upmc.com/services/urgent-care/services/pages/flu-shots-immunizations.aspx.

*No data reported for Dec. 26, 2013