After taking a survey of what Orthopedics This Week termed the field’s “thought leaders,” the medical publication released on Monday its list of the top 19 sports-medicine specialists in America – and nine of them carry ties to the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC.
- Dr. Fu – David Silver professor and Orthopaedics Surgery chair, former president of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), longtime Pitt team physician and internationally renown educator/lecturer.
- Dr. Harner – UPMC Sports Medicine and with Dr. Fu one of the founding physicians of the center; also head team physician for the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins and Pitt plus the current president of AOSSM.
- Dr. Bradley – clinical professor at Pitt in Orthopaedics Surgery and head team orthopedics physician of the NFL Pittsburgh Steelers (former fellow).
- Dr. ElAttrache – Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Foundation board chairman, MLB Los Angeles Dodgers team physician and consultant to the PGA Tour, among others (M.D. and resident).
- C. Benjamin Ma, M.D. — University of California San Francisco chief of Sports Medicine and noted researcher (resident and fellow).
- Brian Cole, M.D. — Rush University Medical Center professor, chair of surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital, and NBA Chicago Bulls team physician and MLB Chicago White Sox co-team physician (fellow).
- Darren Johnson, M.D. — University of Kentucky chair of Orthopedic Surgery and head orthopedic surgeon for Kentucky Wildcats athletics (fellow).
- Mark Miller, M.D. — University of Virginia head of Sports Medicine, James Madison University team physician and respected educator (fellow).
- Marc Safran, M.D. — Stanford University Associate Chief of Sports Medicine, former team physician for several universities, consultant to NBA Players Association, and noted researcher (fellow).