WCA Hospital in Jamestown, NY, signed an affiliation agreement with UPMC on Thursday. But what does that mean? Here are some frequently asked questions, answered:
What is the agreement between WCA Hospital and UPMC?
The agreement sets forth the shared visions of WCA Hospital and UPMC to meet the challenges of today’s transformational changes in the health care industry by accessing UPMC’s technological resources, expertise, and capabilities, to preserve access to local health care and grow world-class health care services locally for years to come.
Why did WCA select UPMC?
WCA and UPMC share a commitment to provide high-quality patient care and a vision for the future to provide the best opportunities for the hospital, its medical staff and employees, and its patients and consumers. WCA and UPMC Hamot already have a long-standing, mutually beneficial collaboration with their formal strategic affiliation agreement, signed in 2012. UPMC is a world-class academic medical center that is consistently ranked in the prestigious U.S. News & World Report annual Honor Roll of American’s Best Hospitals. Together, we will continue to expand our mission to deliver outstanding health care while putting our patients, medical staff, employees, supporters, and volunteers at the center of everything we do.
What higher level of care can UPMC provide for WCA’s community?
- UPMC is a top-quality clinical care provider ranked among the top 15 hospitals nationally by U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll.
- UPMC has demonstrated clinical excellence as evidenced by internationally renowned programs closely affiliated with University of Pittsburgh which has ranked among the top 10 recipients of National Institutes of Health research funding since 1998.
- UPMC has network of more than 5,000 affiliated highly-skilled physicians across the range of specialties that will ease access to tertiary services for Chautauqua County residents.
- UPMC is a leading academic medical center and a $12 billion integrated delivery and finance system.
- UPMC is an internationally-known and highly-regarded health care provider with an international presence in more than a dozen countries including China, Colombia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Singapore, and United Kingdom.
- UPMC has a solid record of success in affiliating and supporting hospitals like WCA.
- UPMC has created a genuinely integrated health delivery system with more than 20 hospitals and a health insurance company.
What are the major benefits the community should expect from this new relationship?
The greatest benefit of the agreement is keeping high-quality care close to home. WCA and UPMC’s combined efforts and dedication will allow health care to grow even stronger and positions WCA Hospital for greater stability over time and will cultivate opportunities to provide world-class patient care to the benefit of everyone it serves.
Will the affiliation with UPMC change any of the services WCA Hospital offers?
An affiliation with UPMC will be extremely positive for WCA Hospital, our patients, and the entire region. The goal of the affiliation is to position WCA to not only meet the challenges of today’s transformation changes in health care, but to access UPMC’s world-renowned clinical, technological, and educational resources, expertise, and capabilities. Our goal is to:
- Create an integrated health care delivery system in the Western New York and Northwestern region that preserves and sustains outstanding access to local health care, locally.
- Share knowledge and expertise.
- Access more physicians and health professionals that will reach more people.
- As part of the signed agreement, UPMC has committed to invest at least $25 million over the next 10 years to support such enhancements. UPMC has also agreed to relieve WCA’s debt and cover its pension obligations, freeing up significant additional monies for WCA development.
About WCA Hospital
WCA Hospital, a 317-licensed bed hospital, was chartered in 1885, is Southwestern New York’s largest not-for-profit healthcare provider, offering an extensive range of inpatient and outpatient acute and rehabilitation services. WCA Hospital has been recognized at the state and national level for high-quality care outcomes. The hospital is accredited by The Joint Commission, The American Association of Blood Banks, American Academy of Sleep Medicine, American College of Radiology, Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL), CEO Roundtable on Cancer Gold Standard Employer for 2015, and approved by the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) Commission on Cancer (CoC). For more information, visit WCA’s website.